National Conference (NC) leader and former chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir Omar Abdullah, while condemning the terror strike, warned of a nationwide Hindu backlash.
The bus was traveling after sunset - which is banned throughout the region due to security restrictions.
So far, over 1 lakh pilgrims have visited the cave shrine since the commencement of annual yatra on 29 June.
This is not the first time Amarnath pilgrims have been targeted. In July 2001, 13 pilgrims were killed after militants hurled two grenades at a camp and later opened fire near the Amarnath shrine.
The Yatra was cloaked in security this year because of heightened militancy threats and unrest in the Valley, and more than 30,000 personnel stationed along the route were supposed to avert any such attack.More news: Salary Data Show Gender Pay Gap in Trump White House
More news: Canada to compensate ex-Guantanamo inmate
More news: Faf to miss Lord's Test due to family reasons
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemned the attack and tweeted that "India will never get bogged down by such cowardly attacks and the evil designs of hate". Home minister Rajnath Singh summoned the meeting, reflecting the concern sparked by the attack that followed a series of gunbattles between security forces and militants in the past few weeks.
"Reportedly the bus was neither a part of convoy nor registered with shrine board".
A pall of gloom enveloped the airport when an Indian Air Force's Hurcules transport aircraft landed here with the bodies, the wounded, and those who miraculously survived the ambush, amid a high alert in the state. "A tourist bus was hit by bullets", police spokesman Manoj Pandita said in a statement. "We urge the Trump Administration to designate Hizbul Mujahideen as a Foreign Terrorist Organization and clamp down on Pakistan for its continued support of Hizbul and other terrorist groups carrying out attacks in India".
It may be mentioned that Muslim driver of this Muhammad Saleem did not spot bus when terrorists started firing at his vehicle and managed to reach a safer place although 20 Yatris mostly women were injured inside bus after terrorists attacked bus in Batengoo Bazar while returning from Baltal to Mir Bazar. The government has deployed three empty buses to make sure that no pilgrims are stranded on the way. The death of a local commander, Burhan Wani, in an encounter with a Rashtriya Rifles battalion in Anantnag on July 8 past year, led to major protests in Kashmir, which were followed by a state crackdown. "We need to be pragmatic and tone down the current rhetoric on terror attacks", said a senior security official.
The police force added the pilgrims were from the western Indian state of Gujarat. He said that the permit for the yatra was acquired by him and it was cleared by the RTO in Himmatnagar.